Saturday, October 30, 2010

DIY: "Where Have We Been?" Wall Map

Friday was my 5 year wedding anniversary with my sweet husband. I love him even more than I did the day I married him and would do it all over again! Since it is such a milestone, I wanted to do something creative and fun for his anniversary gift. The only requirement was that the gift needed to contain wood since we are following the traditional wedding gifts. Well, I am following it, he just spoils me rotten with jewelry every year. ;)

I saw on one of my favorite blogs (http://www.younghouselove.com/) that Sherry created a bulletin board with a map and placed pins to show each city they had visited during their relationship. I re-created this idea and added a few little touches of my own.

To create this project, start with the following items:
  • Map (I bought mine from http://www.maps.com/)
  • Cork board a few inches bigger than the map
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Colorful Push Pins
  • Paper and Pen for the Title and Legend
Using the spray adhesive, coat the back of the map and then press into place on the cork board.


Take the push pins and place them in the locations that you have traveled. I chose to break down our travels into 5 year increments starting with dark blue pins to represent the first 5 years.


I also printed out a header and some titles for the legend in the right corner. I just used my paper cutter to get nice straight cuts.


With some push pins and spray adhesive, create a legend for your display. I broke mine into 5 year increments because it was easy that way!


Happy 5 year anniversary to us! Based on our map, it looks like we need to branch out and take some trips to the west side of the country. We like to go to Florida. A LOT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment