Wednesday, April 20, 2011

DIY: Jewelry Organization

My jewelry collection has always been a hot mess. To the point where every time I go to wear a necklace, I have to spend 15 minutes untangling it from all of my other necklaces that have been thrown in the bottom of my jewelry box. And earrings, oh boy. I have had the hardest problem finding the mate to each earring! So, I set out to create a solution to this jewelry madness.

DIY: Jewelry Organization


My inspiration came from one of my favorite bloggers, Jen from IHeartOrganizing. Love this girl. Love her name! :) A few months ago, Jen create a beautiful jewelry hanger from a decorative radiator grate and a picture frame.

Jewelry Organization

Isn't it beautiful? Using this as my inspiration, I set out to Lowe's to buy my supplies. By that evening, I had everything ready.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

A spraypainted picture frame with the glass removed, measuring tape, dimensions of the inside of the picture frame, metal cutter thingy (we are going to be REAL technical here folks) and a grille insert for a screen door. Here is an upclose of the screen door insert I bought. It was about $19 and I got it at Lowe's.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

First, I measured the inside of my picture frame. My dimensions were 10.5 by 13.5 inches. Using the measuring tape, I measured out these dimensions on my screen.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

DIY: Jewlery Organization

Then I started cutting away.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

I have to note here that my method for cutting this grille might not have been the easiest method. I just used one of the first things I found in my husband's gigantic toolbox that would cut metal. They look like this and I call them metal cutter thingys.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

I also have to note in my husband's defense that he has informed me multiple times what they are really called and I keep forgetting. In one ear and out the other - thats what marriage is about. Right?

Back to the instructions...

Once my grille was cut out, I simply fastened it in place by using the tabs on the back of the picture frame.

DIY: Jewlery Organization

And then it was complete and ready to hang!

DIY: Jewlery Organization

I chose to hang mine in my master bedroom over my dresser. I had bought a pretty little necklace hanger at Urban Outfitters a few weeks back and thought they would look good together. Here is a shot of the other dresser area in my bedroom to give you an idea of what the space looked like before:

DIY: Jewlery Organization

Dark and dreary, I know. I have plans to lighten up my bedroom REAL soon. Starting with the hardware on the dressers. Anyways, here is what the space looked like with my new earring holder and necklace holder in place:

DIY: Jewlery Organization

Much better, don't you think?

DIY: Jewlery Organization

Ceramic Eggcrate

Tree Branch Necklace Holder

DIY: Jewelry Organization

~Jen

13 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I'm stockpiling my favorite ideas from your blog and when I have TIME to do them, I'll be crafting away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so great, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. are those the new Toujour Earrings from Stella & Dot? if not they could be identical! http://www.stelladot.com/sites/betsycrowley/productcatalog?page=productdetail&sku=E133

    i love this idea and will share this blog post with my customers!

    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Where did you find the little egg-carton-like item on the bureau? Are other earrings in there? I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the egg cartons at a local store, but I've seen them at West Elm recently!

      Jen

      Delete
  5. I gave it a try! Feel free to check it out!

    http://glad2smile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tree branch necklace hanger. Did you make that as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the necklace holder at Urban Outfitters. :)

      Delete
  7. Love it! I thought it was actually a decorative screen, I cant believe its justa plain screen door insert.

    Thanks for linking up to our Keep Calm & Link Up party - we hope to see you again this Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    I'm new to this, but I must say I'm liking your great ideas. I'm a nature buff so I love that twig jewelry hanger. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Been wanting to do this... you've inspired me, maybe this weekend?!

    Marlene
    Info site for Bellevue Janitorial Services

    ReplyDelete