Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Evolution of my Fireplace Mantle

I have one tricky fireplace mantle. The decorative trim pieces break it up into three distinct sections and make it very difficult to decorate. When we first moved into the house, I thought the solution was to find something to fit perfectly into the middle square and flank it on both sides.


Looking at this picture makes me laugh. The room is so dark and bare to me! Anyways, that lasted for a few years until one Christmas I fell in love with the mismatch/scattered look and kept it around for a few more years. Think this, minus the stockings and stocking holders.


I love the box wreath hanging from a ribbon. I've had the same one for over 6 months now and never watered it once. It still looks great! I just felt the fireplace needed a little something extra. I have seen on other blogs where people have hung a wreath over the front of the mirror. Since mirrors tend to brighten and open up a space, I thought I would give it a try.


The mirror was borrowed from the master bedroom. We bought it from Bombay Company (RIP) a few years back. We have two tall dressers in the bedroom that were topped with these large mirrors. One of the mirrors came down to the fireplace mantle to make room for a new home decor project I will be sharing within a week or two. (Hint: it involves jewelry and fabric!)

The other items were borrowed from various areas of the house and I think they look so good on the mantle that I don't even miss them in their previous locations.



And it worked. The mirror brought in more light to the room and makes the space feel even bigger. It is amazing what a little brightening up can do for a space!

1 comment:

  1. Love the most recent incarnation! I have a special place in my heart for entomology (and orthinology) illustrations. I love the butterfly one your have framed here.

    ReplyDelete