Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones with Vanilla Icing

I've been baking a lot lately. Thankfully, it hasn't been for me so my waist line isn't expanding! I've been baking for a monthly meeting at my church. It has been a great opportunity to make foods that I have been longing to make. One of those items was scones!

I don't know what it is about scones that intimidates me so much but it took me almost 2 years of talking about them to actually make them. This recipe is super simple and it is from (who else?) Annie from Annie's Eats. Love that girl!


Chocolate Chip Scones with Vanilla Icing
Serves: 20-25
Source: Annie's Eats

Scones:
1½ cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Icing:
Powdered sugar
Milk
Vanilla

Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Toss in the chocolate chips and stir to blend. Add the heavy cream to the flour mixture, stirring just until a dough forms and the dry ingredients are incorporated. Knead the dough very briefly with well floured hands to ensure even mixing.

Using a large dough scoop (or a large spoon), drop rounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter. Bake 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.

To make the icing, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together in a bowl until it has a thick consistency. Then, spoon onto scones and place completed scones in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment