Sunday, June 12, 2011

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Is it possible to have a space that a toddler can enjoy while keeping it sophisticated, styled, and functional for the adults? This was the challenge I faced when my mother in law asked me to "do something...anything" with her upstairs guest bathroom, which also functions as my son's bathroom when he spends the night.

Well, the answer is YES!

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Here is the bathroom before:

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

A bit bland and definitely lacking some personality and fun. When my son first started going over to spend the night, he would cry and scream at bath time and didn't want to spend anytime at all in this bathroom. I don't blame him! (I have to add a disclaimer here and state that my in laws did not build this house, so they just inherited this blandness.)

So, after some thought we decided to give this bathroom some personality and make it a fun place for my son as well as a comfortable place for guests.

My first task was to find a rug that was playful but not too kid-ish to cover the old, beige tiles on the floor. Since we were working with a small budget, ripping out floor tiles was just not an option. I think I accomplished my goal when I picked up the this rug from SelectRugs.com.


I balanced the playfulness of the rug with a serene "spa-like" blue on the walls, a monogrammed shower curtain from Ballard Designs and some framed artwork. We also spray painted all of the cabinet knobs and hinges, installed a new light fixture and installed a new faucet. All for about $250!

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom
The white poodle in the picture above is a portrait of my in law's dog, Arthur. My son absolutely loves this dog and follows him around everywhere. Sometimes we joke that he loves Arthur more than my in laws!

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Creating A Fun (Yet Sophisticated) Bathroom

Now, my son laughs every time he sees this rug and points at it while making a "woof woof" sound. He enjoys his bath time at grandma and grandpa's house and my in laws feel that the space is great for overnight guests. Overall, I think this decorating project was a success.

What do you think?

~Jen

1 comment: