Thursday, January 5, 2012

DIY: Reusable Menu Board

My first project of 2012 is perfect for this year’s theme of doing more with less.

For the past few years, I have been using a custom menu/grocery list from Perideau Designs that hangs on the side of our fridge by a magnet. It has worked perfectly. The current week’s menu on one side and shopping list for the next week on the other. My only complaint is that it wastes unnecessary paper - not very "green". So, I decided to make something out of materials I had lying around the house and I came up with this beautiful menu dry erase board!

DIY: Reusable Menu Board

Materials:
  • Picture Frame with Glass
  • Sharpie
  • Dry Erase Marker
  • Scrapbook Paper
I had all of these materials lying around the house, so this project cost me nothing! Here is what you do:

Step 1: Cut the scrapbook paper to size - 8 x 10 in my case.

Step 2: Write the categories and day of the week abbreviations directly onto the scrapbook paper with a sharpie. Get creative and choose whatever configuration you like!

Step 3: Placed the scrapbook paper in the frame.

Step 4: Hang it somewhere that is easily accessible. I choose to hang mine on the side of our fridge using a command picture hanging strip.

Now I can write with dry erase marker each week and just wipe it off for the new week! Plus, the scrapbook paper is a pretty element in our kitchen.

DIY: Reusable Menu Board

DIY: Reusable Menu Board

So, no more wasting paper and I managed to put a picture frame and piece of scrapbook paper to good use instead of letting them collect dust. :)

~Jen

3 comments:

  1. So glad to see your version of Amanda's gift... I knew it was a gem when I saw it in Real Simple about 2 years ago. Just proves that "good news & crafty ideas" travel fast.

    http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/new-uses-for-old-things/picture-frame-as-dry-erase-board-00000000049958/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so easy to make and so functional --- great blog!

    ReplyDelete