Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Changing the Look of a "Builder Basic" Kitchen–Slowly.

When my husband and I bought our house a few years back we were not crazy about the blonde wood cabinets in our kitchen. Over the years, we have gone back and forth on getting the cabinets painted and replacing the counter tops with something a little darker, like this:

White Kitchen

Don’t get me wrong – we love how bright and airy our kitchen is, but it just isn’t our style.


Too much light wood. Not enough WOW factor.

A few weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with painting the cabinets white. I wanted to do this in steps, though, in case I didn’t like how it turned out. Therefore, the island was the first part of the kitchen to get a coat of fresh white paint (easiest to replace).

We also decided to break out the miter saw and add some craftsman style molding to the builder basic island that matches the molding on the cabinet doors.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress. Please note that my hubbie is doing all of the work in the photos. He's a good man!






And, finally, the end result:



What do you think?

~Jen

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I love the look of white kitchens. We'll be painting our kitchen white this year, too. Thankfully we're only half finished with the remodel, anyway. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. i want my next kitchen to have beadboard & white cabinets that reach the ceiling, like the one in the "model" photo above. someday... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I'm still trying to decide what to do with my builder boring island but I think I have an idea now :)

    ReplyDelete