Sunday, June 3, 2012

Re-purposing Accessories in Your Home

Home accessories can add up to a lot of money if you aren't careful. The best accessories are inexpensive and pack a big punch in a room. For example, a mirror can lighten and brighten a space for very little money.



I've been playing around in my entryway for a few weeks now to find something that works over my console table. Here is what it has looked like for the past few years:


Not too bad. I liked the colors in the print. Especially during the fall and winter months. However, after spring rolled in, I felt the space needed to be brightened up a little. Before heading out to a store and paying for a piece of artwork or a mirror that I might grow tired of down the road, I went shopping in my own home and tried to find something I could re-purpose. 

Our bedroom furniture is very dark and it makes the room a little too dark for my tastes. I've been slowly adding brighter elements to the room like my earring and necklace organizers.


See the dark wood dresser? There are two of them in the room and they both had matching mirrors at one point, like this:


Too much dark wood for me these days. So, I grabbed one of the mirror and a can of white paint and gave it a make over before re-purposing it over the console table in my entryway.



Much better, don't you think? I feel the white mirror balances nicely with the dark wood console table. Next up on my to-do list is getting rid of those white wood blinds on the front door. I'm thinking of going the frosted glass route. I've also considered repainting the inside of the door a light blue color. Maybe.

More to come! 

~Jen

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I always try to start shopping in my own home first. I tend to tire of things easily, so I have a garage full of stuff building up. It's amazing how new life can be given to these items by just switching the room that they are in or hitting them up with a can of spray paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! I like the painting too, but the mirror feels so much brighter!

    ReplyDelete