Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY: Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

One of the best parts about being a mom is watching your child grow. From the start, I have been trying to document my little guy's childhood in ways we can all cherish. One of these ways is recording his height each year on his birthday. I had previously purchased a wall decal to do this, but unfortunately, will not be able to take it along with us when we move.

Since we will be in transition for awhile, I set out to create a growth chart that can move along with us.

Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

My over sized ruler inspiration came from a fellow blogger, Mary at becauseiliketodecorate. She created a beautiful Pottery Barn Kids jumbo ruler knockoff from a piece of wood and the result was stunning. I instantly knew I wanted to create my own. So, off to Lowe's I went. 

Lowe's is great because you can purchase pre-cut/pre-finished wood for cheap. I snagged a six foot long by nine inch wide piece of wood off the shelf, some Minwax Mahogany stain, polyurethane, and a brush. I think my total bill came to $25.

The first step is to measure out the ruler markings with a pencil and a tape measure.

Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

I made long marks at every foot and smaller marks every 4 inches. I choose this pattern because my little guy seems to grow about four inches a year. You can choose as many or as few markings as your heart desires. 

Next up, I used a leveler and a sharpie marker to make straight horizontal lines at my chosen intervals. 

Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

You might notice my lines aren't perfectly straight. This doesn't bother me one bit. I think it gives it character.

Off to the garage I went with my over sized ruler for a coat of stain and a coat of polyurethane. After a few hours of drying time, my over sized ruler was complete! 

Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

I love the character in the wood and the dark, rich color. Don't you?

Over Sized Ruler Growth Chart

Now, we have a growth chart that can move with us over the years!

~Jen

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Stumbled across your blog and love it, especially love how your DIY growth chart turned out!
    A few months back I asked my husband to help me make one for our boys and we had fun preparing the board, but got stuck on creating a neat, professional way to put on numbers and tick marks. We tried numerous methods, and weren't happy with any of them, so decided to design a DIY vinyl decal that you can just transfer onto the board and were finally happy with it!
    Since then, knowing how popular this project is, we actually opened a shop on Etsy to sell the decals for other DIY-ers who wanted to make a board but didn't have the creativity or time to hand draw out or stencil numbers and tick marks. If you'd like to take a look, or recommend the shop in your post to others who might be frustrated by the same step as an option, it's: www.etsy.com/shop/LittleAcornsByRo
    Maybe it will be a help to others out there!
    Thanks and best wishes!
    Ro

    ReplyDelete