Friday, December 28, 2012

DIY: Easy Teacher Appreciation Gift

Being a working mom is hard. There are so many moments that I wish I could be with my little guy during the work day. It makes me feel so much better knowing that he is in good hands while I bring home the bacon. (Yes, I just wrote that).

The amazing women that have been teaching and loving my son while I work deserve to be honored and appreciated. Therefore, I've made it a priority to create gifts to show my appreciation each year. This year I decided to go with a "growing" theme since my little guy has grown up so much since he started at his Montessori school.

What better way to do this than with a plant?


Here is what you need:
  • Clay pots
  • Chalkboard spray paint
  • Coffee filters
  • Potting Soil
  • Plant food (optional)
  • Chalk marker
  • Plant (I used Pothos Ivy because it would thrive in the artificial light of a classroom)

Step 1:

Lay the clay pots outside on some newspaper and spray with the chalkboard spray paint.



It took about three thin coats to get an even surface.

Step 2:

After the spray paint has dried (about an hour), line the bottom of each pot with a coffee filter and fill 3/4 full of potting soil. The coffee filters help to keep the potting soil from leaking out of the bottom of the pot, but allow water to drain through. Through a dash of plant food in if desired.


Step 3:

Gently place your plant in the soil and cover with at least an inch of firmly packed potting soil. Go wash the dirt off of your hands. Have a sip of margarita or beer.

Step 4:

Water your plants and let them sit in the dun for a bit to settle into their new homes.


Step 5:

Write a sweet note to your child's teachers on the outside of the pots. Ours says "Thank you for helping me grow."


Step 6:

Have your child present his/her teachers with their gift and say "Thank you!"


~Jen


1 comment: